Looking Ahead Blog
Drone images show the progress made to the new slip field car park since construction work began in January.
Construction of New Car Park
We have now completed all pre-start conditions and are ready to start work on the new car park adjacent to the top car park. This is needed before the main contractor can begin demolition of the existing science block prior to starting work on the new science and technology building, and new workshop, which are the first buildings in the School’s master plan.
The plan for parking and pedestrian access during work on the new car park is as follows:
- Work started on Monday 16 January for 12 weeks so should be complete by mid-April.
- During this time part of the slip field will be under construction but the lower half will be available for parking. The plan below shows what is intended but it may take a few days to set up. Pedestrian routes are marked by white dots. Black and white zebra stripes on West Drive define a crossing point to the Mansion, Pre-Prep and Nursery and tennis courts direction from the lower slip field.
- In April when the new car park is complete the path to the Portsmouth Road will be made up.
- Work on the Science and Technology building and workshop will start mid-April. This is expected to take 50 weeks and the buildings will be ready for September 2018.
- The work includes a new, even and lit path from the top car park to the sports hall.
The plans are exciting and will improve parking and walking on site but there may be some disruption at times and we ask parents and visitors to bear with us while work is underway.
Please click here for the detailed plans.
If you have any further concerns now, or during the work, please contact the Estate Manager, Mr Rob Mullan, in the estate office firstname.lastname@example.org
In accordance with our planning conditions, the self-seeded copse located behind the Mansion was removed and during the autumn term, the area was cleared with new grass seed sown. Once fully established, the new lawn will restore the landscape close to that of Capability Brown’s original design. The additional lawn space will also allow a wider area for large scale formal gatherings, such as Summer Meeting and graduation.
Restoration of the Ha-Ha is another condition attached to our planning consent. Work on the second section, from the tunnel to the gates, started in November 2016. New bricks were made to provide an exact match to the original and new gates have been installed. Work is expected to finish in March 2017.
We were extremely pleased to open the Orchard building after the Summer half term for the use of the Senior science department. Pupils and staff have thoroughly enjoyed using the new space and look forward to hosting the annual Science Fair within the classrooms towards the end of the academic year.
The Preparatory School entrance has been greatly improved with new fencing, a wider pathway and two lawns. The view of the back of the Mansion has been opened up with the clearance of the self-seeded trees that began earlier in the year. The Orchard building's exterior has been finished and work has begun on installing the fixtures and fittings ready for classes to occupy the building towards the end of the Summer term. We have also seen a section of the historical ha-ha repaired and a number of renovations to windows on two sides of the Mansion.
Work has continued on the construction of the Orchard building with the completion of the foundations and erection of the main walls. Disruption has been kept to a minimum with deliveries of materials primarily outside the School day. Landscaping projects have also begun with the removal of self-seeded trees from behind the science building and the back of the Mansion. Elsewhere, the Portsmouth Road entrance has been developed ready for future works to the entrance due to take place during the summer holiday.
Clearance of the site for the temporary Orchard building has begun with the removal of self-seeded trees and the digging of trenches for the foundations.